[reportlab-users] Reportlab performance

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon May 17 10:30:28 EDT 2010

> Could the TOC be inserted as a post rendering, post save feature?  Like

> a binding.  Say I build chapters of Roberts book for example by chapter,

> have a final binding step that numbers and creates a TOC.  TOC.pdf ->

> c1.pdf -> c2.pdf -> Glossary.pdf -> Index.pdf?

Some of our commercial customers do exactly this; the ReportLab PLUS
package can manipulate PDFs that exist already, so it's common to
pregenerate documents and then have a master script to stitch them
together, and even to overprint extra page numbers.

You could also do this by using free tools like pdftk to stitch
together the files - remember the pages of interest while generating
the main document; then make a second one with the T.O.C; then put the
PDFs together.

But it would be more elegant to do it during generation

- Andy