[reportlab-users] Reportlab performance

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon May 17 05:12:19 EDT 2010

On 17/05/2010 09:27, Andy Robinson wrote:

> On 17 May 2010 08:04, Henning von Bargen<H.vonBargen at t-p.com> wrote:

>> Another idea that came to my mind:

>> 3. In the final step of the PDF creation process, when

>> the /Pages object is written, just put the TOC pages

>> before the content pages.

> This is a good idea. Very often the cover, TOC and other 'front

> matter' can be printed without visible numbers. Reordering pages at

> the end might not be too hard.

> We need an API which allows this to work with Platypus without massive

> changes. Some way to say "the following pages / story-sections

> eventually belong elsewhere in the document; make them now but flag

> them". Or perhaps even "reserve some blank pages, jump ahead, then

> compact and remove unused ones at the end". Then have a final

> 'reshuffle' pass at the end. Of course the reordering pass needs to

> 'offset' the target page numbers as they will have moved.

> How about ActionFlowables called GoTo and GoSub? ;-)

I don't think this is really a platypus specific problem; the canvas code array
stores all of the pdf operations prior to the final rendering which happens wne
save is called. I think what really matters is whether those operations contain
any position dependent values; if not then it should be possible to collect the
code from the TOC/Front matter pages at the end and then re-inject at the front
of the actual document. However this requires support from the canvas layer
rather than platypus since proviing the _code locations can be recorded some
fairly simple flowables woud do the trick.