[reportlab-users] Reportlab performance

Henning von Bargen H.vonBargen at t-p.com
Wed May 12 09:55:32 EDT 2010

Leszek Syroka wrote:

> Right now our main concern is performance of 'platypus'. Creating a

> document, similar to attached one, but containing 1032 pages, about

> 1 200 000 characters and no images takes about 12 minutes.

> Is it a normal time of creating such document?

12 minutes seems slow indeed. I would expect 1 or 2 minutes.
Are you sure that this is caused by ReportLab?
Could as well be a slow SQL query or whatever...

> Moreover I found out that to insert the table of contents document

> is created in three iterations. First time to create a document with

> blank table of contents, second one to put there and adjust

> dynamically created one and third time to fit the table of contents

> containing more than one page.

> Is it possible to make this operation only once?

Yes, it should be possible to just do that in one or at most 2 passes.

The idea is that you tell ReportLab in advance that you expect
the TOC needs N pages (you can compute that in your special case,
since you need one TOC row per article).

You could perhaps use insert a custom flowable after the TOC
that splits until page N is reached.

HTH
Henning