[reportlab-users] Pypi package incorrect

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Mar 9 12:17:34 EST 2010

On 09/03/2010 16:44, Michael Hipp wrote:

> On 3/9/2010 9:56 AM, Andy Robinson wrote:

>> On 9 March 2010 15:51, Michael Hipp<Michael at hipp.com> wrote:

>>> Would this work for Windows, in lieu of the binary (.exe) installers?

>>> Does

>>> it include the DLLs?

>> I should have said 'untar', not 'unzip'. The zip doesn't include

>> DLLs, which is why we don't put it on PyPI. I think we tried it in

>> January, and easy_install on Windows pulls down the prebuilt .exe

>> files.

> I'm on Windows 7 and I just did 'pip install reportlab'.

> It scrolled a bunch of stuff and then quit with this:

> running build_ext

> building '_rl_accel' extension

> error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

pip is obviously trying to build the extensions from source. Presumably pip
doesn't know how to check if a compiler is present (or pehaps where it lives),
maybe it delegates to distutils and that's being dumb.

Have you tried downloading and running
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/r/reportlab/reportlab-2.4.win32-py2.6.exe?

I've no idea whether that works on windows 7, but it's an approved way to
distribute for windows which shouldn't require a compiler to be set up.