[reportlab-users] Pypi package incorrect

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Mar 5 08:07:41 EST 2010

On 5 March 2010 12:36, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:

> tl;dr: please add a fixed MANIFEST.in to the right place in the source

> tree and then use 'python setup.py sdist' to produce pip- and

> easy_install-compatible tarballs.

We did not actually use 'python setup.py sdist' because we had
existing working scripts that had been producing working distros
across all recent Python versions for about a decade - basically
exporting from SVN and tarring things, with some slight patches
applied to make things work right for different Python versions. We
just made the minimum changes to our script to make it work with
easy_install, which (as far as we can tell) it does.

> I don't know how reportlab-2.4.tar.gz from PyPI was produced, but I

> think it is wrong for it to have a PKG-INFO file outside of the

> ReportLab_2_4 subdirectory.  I also find the directory name a bit

> strange; I think it should be reportlab-2.4/ rather than ReportLab_2_4/.

This is legacy and I agree our version formatting is strange.

> Incidentally, since you say that ReportLab_2.4.tar.gz from the FTP site

> works fine with pip, then pip doesn't need setup.py to be at the archive

> root, it just needs the PKG-INFO not to be outside the main directory.

My colleague Damian will be in touch with Marius next week to work on
this and try for a 2.4.1 package which works with pip.

--
Andy