[reportlab-users] Code 11 barcode bug

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Mar 1 06:30:34 EST 2010

On 28/02/2010 22:18, Sergiu Iordache wrote:

> Hello,

> After trying to use the Code 11 barcode drawing function I am pretty

> sure that it is bugged. It doesn't seem to generate the correct

> barcode, but I haven't found the bug origin or solution yet. If I do,

> I'll post the solution here.

> Here[1] is the example code to generate a Code 11 barcode for the

> number 1 . It generates this barcode[2].

> The result is not correct, as the last character does not correspond

> to the first one and does not have enough characters. Here is the same

> number generated using an online generator [3]

> If anyone figures out the solution please post it here. The bug is

> most probably located here[4].

> Thanks a lot,

> Sergiu

OK I think I found two problems here.

First off my googling reveals this

http://www.mecsw.com/specs/code_11.html

that seems to indicate that both checksums should be mod 11 and not as in the
current code mod 11 & mod 10. Secondly I checked and the decompose step was
wrongly calculating the intermediate characters.

I think the attached is an improvement. Can you test it and report if it's
better for you? I don't have a reader which works with code11 so it would be
valuable if you can check if the second check digit is being correctly computed.