[reportlab-users] Finding out the width/height of text

whit sheldon whit.sheldon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 08:44:30 EST 2010

I have been using Reportlab and PIL to write text to an image for use as a
watermark. In PIL one can do something like this:

from PIL import Image as IMG
from PIL import ImageFont, ImageDraw, ImageOps

tmpimg = IMG.new("RGB", (some_x,some_y), bgcolor)
# get space needed to render text
draw = ImageDraw.Draw(tmpimg)
sizex, sizey = draw.textsize(txt, font=font)
# resize image to hold text
tmpimg = tmpimg.resize((sizex,sizey),IMG.ANTIALIAS)

--Whit