[reportlab-users] Can somebody send my a script example of reportlab, postgres and python?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Jan 4 13:38:43 EST 2010

John Dizaro wrote:

> I am starting at this moment .

> I know nothing about reportlab

The nice thing about Python is that it's easy to experiment. There's
nothing particularly "mystical" about this combination. It's difficult
to give you general advice, because we don't know what you need to
produce. Do you need spreadsheet like reports? Do you need to fill in
preprinted forms? Do you need to produce form letters? All of those
things can be done, but they require a different approach.

If I were you, I would start out doing some simple Postgres scripts, to
make sure I understood how to do queries and how the records were
returned to me, as a list of records.

Then, there are samples in the Reportlab distribution that you can use
to start experimenting with tables and such. Go through some of those
samples until you see how tables work.

After that, you just hook up the two ideas. Use Postgres to generate a
list of records, then pass that to Reportlab to generate a table (or
form letters, or whatever you need).

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.