[reportlab-users] Using Arial Unicode MS TrueType Font for Bold and Italic

Nate Silva nate at desi.com
Thu Feb 4 10:06:13 EST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 12:24 AM, Christian Wilhelm wrote:

> is there any way to use the Arial Unicode MS TrueType Font for bold

> and italic with reportlab? Seems like that font doesn't have any bold

> or italic settings in it, but if I export a PDF-File from OpenOffice

> with bold and italic characters (with Arial Unicode MS as font),

> the text is rendered correctly (with the right font settings) within

> kpdf.

> Is there any way to get the same result with reportlab?

If you need a font with a wide range of Unicode characters, try Free Sans (http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/). That web page lists the writing systems it supports.

Although not identical to Arial, it is very similar (it’s Helvetica) and is supposed to have identical metrics, making it a drop-in replacement. It comes with bold, italic and bold-italic flavors.

(If you do not actually need the Unicode characters you could of course sub regular Arial.)

Regards,
N.