[reportlab-users] Using Arial Unicode MS TrueType Font for Bold and Italic

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Feb 4 05:03:27 EST 2010

On 04/02/2010 08:24, Christian Wilhelm wrote:

> Hi list,

> is there any way to use the Arial Unicode MS TrueType Font for bold

> and italic with reportlab? Seems like that font doesn't have any bold

> or italic settings in it, but if I export a PDF-File from OpenOffice

> with bold and italic characters (with Arial Unicode MS as font),

> the text is rendered correctly (with the right font settings) within

> kpdf.

> Is there any way to get the same result with reportlab?

> Thanks,

> Christian

I don't think we have at present assuming no bold version of MS Unicode exists
etc etc.

Currently we use the technique of using the -Bold -Italic or -BoldItalic
versions of fonts to get the various font styles, but the old fashioned way to
do this is not done in reportlab. In the old nroff/troff world it was common to
do a small horizontal shift and overprint to get bold and adjust the slant to
get italic. Clever renderers sometimes create these fonts on the fly using
various algorithms. I wonder if there are some utilities that could create the
bolded/italicised versions of the fonts.