[reportlab-users] Intermittent failure to find font, followed by IOError

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Dec 14 07:37:37 EST 2010

On 14/12/2010 11:23, Poetschner, Stephan wrote:

> Hi Robin.

> I found your name and email address in a mailing list (concerning a

> similar bug that is actually "haunting" us).

> http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2009-October/008876.ht

> ml

> Thanks for giving some precious hints, but I'm still pretty stuck on the

> issue and would really appreciate any details on the outcome.

> Do you have more information on the issue? Could you find the core

> problem? Was it just a configuration/setup problem - if so, which one?

> Has it been resolved in some future version?

> Looking into reportlab's code, the patch you suggested has been already

> added in version 2.4 (comparing 2.3).

> Any information would be highly appreciated.

> Thanks and kind regards,

> Stephan

Stephan,

you should really write direct to the mailing list. I'm not sure exactly what
environment you're running reportlab in or what version.

I believe this issue was eventually traced to some behaviour related to using
multiple interpreters eg mod_python/apache related or some such. I seem to
recall that we found something in _rl_accel.c (the accelerator code) was making
the situation worse and there was a change to the code in August to remove most
of the possibilities.

I'm copying this to the RL users list hoping someone has more information
regarding the actual underlying issue.