[reportlab-users] Intermittent failure to find font error

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Aug 12 09:54:57 EDT 2010

On 10/08/2010 16:07, Alex Buck wrote:

> Thanks for your response Robin. I am no WSGI Expert either but I can

> tell you that we are running our servers with wsgi in daemon mode and

> not using an embedded configuration. Also the benchmark analysis was

> very useful and its interesting to see that using the C code you get a

> 100% speed up when determining stringWidth. Can I assume that this

> piece of code is use heavily within the layout engine?

> Alex Buck

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Robin Becker<robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

>> I'm not a great expert at WSGI, but can I assume that you are using the

>> 'embedded' version of the mod_wsgi apache module?

>> --

>> Robin Becker

I have made some long overdue changes to _rl_accel.c which might alleviate this
problem. The main problem seems to be using cached variables from the pdfmetrics
module and with the latest code that should disappear if the latest version of
pdfmetrics.py is used. I took the opportunity to remove residual support for
Python < 2.3.

This is checked in now and will hit the daily builds tomorrow. The changes are
in the extension and pdfmetrics.py.