[reportlab-users] Best way forward

Simon simonluijk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:18:15 EDT 2010

On 11 August 2010 19:08, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/11/2010 1:04 PM, Simon wrote:

>> Hello All

>> I am trying to find the best way forward to produce pdf invoices with

>> Reportlab. I have created a few pds with PLATYPUS but am having problems

>> working this one out. I haven't quite setteled into Reportlab's way of

>> thinking.

>> They are going to be printed on continus paper that is perferated every

>> 20cm. If a invoice is too large to fit on one page it should continue onto

>> the second page as if it is the same piece of paper. e.g. the second page

>> should not have a header. I think it would be easer to create one large page

>> (40cm high) rather then two seperate ones. Is it posible to create a pdf

>> page (PageTemplate) with a flexable height? or change the height if I

>> calculate that the flowables wont fit (Most likely be one table per

>> invoice).

>> Here comes the wedge: There is a piece of text that has to come below the

>> invoice item table. If the pdf needs to be printed on two pages it should

>> not get printed on the bottom of the first page but the second.

>> Is it posible to wrap two flowables in a flowable that can not be split?

>> My other question is: Is it posible when a PageTemplate is drawing the

>> static elements on the page to grab information from the first flowable to

>> be drawn on that page. Related to that is it posible to store extra data in

>> a flowable.

> I don't have a specific RL answer for you, however, I have had to handle

> this with some other products so lets just talk concepts. I will need to

> tackle this one day in RL (I hope, if my company purchases).

> You need 4 layouts, Single, First, Middle, Last.

> Single will have Header, Detail Footer

> First will have Header and Detail

> Middle will only have Detail (maybe a mini header, but different than

> First)

> Last will have Detail and Footer

Yes that is good, I think I could get that to work in Reportlab. I think
having seperate pages is better as then a table row wont get printed on the
perferation line between two pages.

The only dificutly I think I will have is working out which PageTemplate to
use, especily when I am creating more then one invoice. I will have a crack
at it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Simon Luijk