[reportlab-users] Problem printing with lulu.com

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Apr 15 06:29:21 EDT 2010

On 15 April 2010 11:25, Roberto Alsina <ralsina at netmanagers.com.ar> wrote:

> So, adding a FONTNAME command to the table style I am using should fix that?

> I suppose you should change that to use the canvas basefontname by default,

> too?

We just did. My understanding is that two rl_config variables are
used throughout...

canvas_basefontname= 'Helvetica'
defaultGraphicsFontName= 'Times-Roman'

So lazy people will see Helvetica in their paragraphs and table cells,
and Times Roman in chart axis labels.

We have not changed the charts default to 'Helvetica' as it would
affect many commercial customers and cause a lot of carefully spaced
text labels on production charts to go wrong.

This means that normal PDFs can contain references to these fonts,
even if no text is drawn in them. But if you pick and register your
own fonts instead and change these to refer to them, your fonts will
be used, and there should be no further references to Times-Roman and
Helvetica, making your printer happier.

Robin, is that right? If so I'll expand the relevant part of the userguide.

--
Andy