[reportlab-users] Problem printing with lulu.com

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Apr 14 07:37:16 EDT 2010

On 14 April 2010 10:33, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> The real problem is that the printer doesn't know about these standard fonts

> which are supposed to be built in to all postscript printers.

I think the world is changing here. The Postscript spec used to say
this, as did the PDF Spec. but PDF/A (the archive standard) wants all
fonts embedded, and the print industry wants the same so customers
can't whinge that the Helvetica on the press differs slightly from
Helvetica in the proofs etc. And probably the extra 30-50k per font
matters less than it did 12-15 years ago.

If we're trying to eliminate hard-coded fonts we should double-check
charts and graphics as well as tables.

- Andy