[reportlab-users] feature check - compute total pages needed

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Apr 6 11:24:14 EDT 2010

On 06/04/2010 14:09, Steve Romanow wrote:

> Good Morning Guys!

> I am recommending RL for a (first) project at my company and could

> someone pls help me check one feature.

> I need to print on each page of my documents 1 of 8, 2 of 8, etc. When

> using flowables, does it do 2 passes? Does page one know the total

> number of pages?

> Does this presume the use of one lib over another? i.e. is it platypus

> or preppy or the base RL python module that provides this feature?

> TIA,

> Steve Romanow

In pdf it is possible to define a small form which will be used to hold the
total page count. The form can be used before its contents are defined so you
can define the page count right at the end. That has to be done using the
canvas, but isn't really hard.

On the other hand multibuild may allow you to do stuff really easily see eg

https://www.reportlab.com/snippets/13/