[reportlab-users] Querying left over space

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Mon Sep 14 13:47:56 EDT 2009

Robin Becker wrote:

> Mike Driscoll wrote:

>> Hi,

>> Is there a way to query how much horizontal and vertical space is

>> left on a page? And is there a way to know how much "space" a line of

>> text in 10 point will take up? I am working with nested tables and it

>> keeps splitting one of the nested over two pages whereas I need it to

>> keep the nested table in one piece. I hope that makes sense.

>> I am coding on a Windows XP machine with Python 2.5 and ReportLab 2.3.

>> Thanks,

>> Mike

> I assume that you're using platypus to do the layout; the document's

> active template has an active frame that controls the layout. The

> coding that's used to determine whether something can be added is in

> the _add method of the Frame class. It looks something like this

I'm using the SimpleDocTemplate from platypus, if that's what you mean.
Then I use the Table object to create some tables and nest them as
needed. The code works fine except that it splits in the middle of
tables sometimes. I need some kind of grouping function to keep the
tables whole...

> y = self._y

> p = self._y1p

> s = 0

> aW = self._getAvailableWidth()

> if not self._atTop:

> s =flowable.getSpaceBefore()

> if self._oASpace:

> s = max(s-self._prevASpace,0)

> h = y - p - s

> if h>0:

> w, h = flowable.wrap(aW, h)

> else:

> return 0

> h += s

> y -= h

> if y < p-_FUZZ:

> if not rl_config.allowTableBoundsErrors and ((h>self._aH or

> w>aW) and not trySplit):

> from reportlab.platypus.doctemplate import LayoutError

> raise LayoutError("Flowable %s (%sx%s points) too large

> for frame (%sx%s points)." % (

> flowable.__class__, w,h, aW,self._aH))

> return 0

> else:

> #DRAW THE FLOWABLE AT self._x, y

> if you ignore the space before stuff then effectively the vertical

> space remaining is

> activeFrame._y - activeFrame._y1p

> hope this helps.

Hmmm...not sure how to use this, but will try to figure it out. Do I
create a frame object to grab that information from?

- Mike