[reportlab-users] Generic mod_python error when returning pdf

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Oct 13 09:03:18 EDT 2009

2009/10/13 Simone Dalmasso <simone.dalmasso at gmail.com>:

> TemplateDoesNotExist: 500.html

> I have't designed the 550 error template yet. But anyway it isn't so useful

> I think. Trying to execute the method through the python shell it doesn't

> raise any exceptions and it returns an HttpResponse object. So I think that

> the error occurs when django tries to send the response to the client. Maybe

> some issues between django and mod_python?

We've had this too when first setting up production apps. It's
trying to display the 'underlying' error but failing because no
template exists. If you implement this template, or set DEBUG=True in
settings.py, it might tell you what the underlying error is with your
PDF generation.

Usually one gets bitten with things like writing to files or
directories (the current working directory may be different under
mod_python and development) or important (or failing to import) needed
libraries because the path is different.

Good luck,

Andy