[reportlab-users] How to properly get alignments of flowables right...

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Oct 1 14:56:30 EDT 2009

Brower Jason wrote:

> But it looks like I have to make adjustments from the bottom left corner

> of the object. It doesn't seem logical that way. Is there something I

> am missing about doing zero point of the object at the top left of

> itself?

Well, there's a historical basis for this. Reportlab generates PDF,
which is a dialect of Postscript. Postscript uses the Cartesian
coordinate model for its axes. So, in order to have the whole page be
in quadrant 1 where X and Y are both positive, that puts the origin at
the lower left.

You can use scale (by 1 and -1) and transform to turn it into a more
traditional printing model, if you're careful.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.