[reportlab-users] RTL Patch Committed

Yoann Roman yroman-reportlab at altalang.com
Tue Nov 24 09:03:48 EST 2009

Andy Robinson wrote...

> I had a quick look at ICU and PyICU. Good Python support, pre-built

> DLLs available.

> I took a wild guess and typed....

> sudo apt-get install python-pyicu

> ...and that works too!

> However, I am not clear how it will solve the problem. As you said

> yourself, the font engine should really be doing this. Could it be

> that it depends on the fonts themselves, and that the best commercial

> ones have extra info which allows better rendering of the right pairs?

ICU does the same type of shaping as Pyfribidi. I only mentioned it
because it had a clear explanation of how that shaping works. Sorry for
the confusion.

Proper shaping does depend on the font. OpenType fonts essentially
contain multiple glyphs for a single Unicode code point. For Arabic:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/arabicot/features.htm

Based on what I've read, it seems Pango can do this glyph selection
given the text and font. I just haven't confirmed this or if there's a
way to get the information back out in a usable form to RL.

--
Yoann Roman