[reportlab-users] How can I stripe the grid

Ulf Renman ulf.renman at favoptic.com
Thu Nov 12 08:39:27 EST 2009

I solved this myself with the code below. Any comments on that?

weekColors = [
colors.white,
colors.white,
colors.white,
colors.white,
colors.white,
colors.Color(0.7,0.7,0.7),
colors.Color(0.9,0.7,0.7),
]
def fun(data):
drawing = Drawing(w,h)
lp = LinePlot()

<snip>

# Create the grid.
# Use the same size and position as the LinePlot
# Calculate the gridstep by checking the actual data
# Offset it by half a step to make the grid better aligned with
the data
# Calculate the order of the striping by getting the weekday of
the first
# data point.
grid = Grid()
grid.x = lp.x
grid.y = lp.y
grid.width = lp.width
grid.height = lp.height
grid.delta = 20
mi = data[0]['date'].toordinal()
ma = data[-1]['date'].toordinal()
grid.delta = float(grid.width)/(ma-mi)
grid.delta0 = grid.delta/2
wd = int(date.fromordinal(mi).strftime('%u'))-1
grid.stripeColors = (weekColors+weekColors)[wd:wd+len(weekColors)]
grid.useLines = 1
grid.useRects = 1
grid.strokeWidth = 0.3
drawing.add(grid)

# Add the LinePlot after the grid since we want it to be painted on top
# of the grid.
drawing.add(lp)