[reportlab-users] Intermittent failure to find font, followed by IOError

Stevens, Ian IStevens at globeandmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:02:59 EST 2009

Hi Robin. Thanks for the patch. It's been applied, and now we get the following:

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/pdfbase/pdfmetrics.py", line 79, in parseAFMFile
lines = open_and_readlines(afmFileName, 'r')

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/lib/utils.py", line 462, in open_and_readlines
return open_and_read(name,mode).split('\n')

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/lib/utils.py", line 459, in open_and_read
return open_for_read(name,mode).read()

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/lib/utils.py", line 454, in open_for_read
dbg.dump()

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/reportlab/lib/utils.py", line 810, in dump
f = open(self.fn,'wb')

IOError: file() constructor not accessible in restricted mode, while looking for faceName='AGFScalaSansBold'

The faceName matches one which is registered before any other PDF work is done. The IOError is the DebugMemo.dump() failing. I've never seen that error before. Could it be another symptom of the same issue? The original open() for the font could be raising this error. Could it be a side-effect of a mod_python configuration?

FYI, we're running Python 2.5.2 and mod_python 3.3.1.

Thanks,
Ian.