[reportlab-users] easy_install problem?

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Wed May 13 11:08:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 09:41:14AM +1200, Sam wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I've just tried to install from source but am

> getting a single failure from the preinstall tests. Is there something

> that I'm missing?

> webserver:/home/domains/pisa_install/ReportLab_2_3# python setup.py

> tests-preinstall

> .........Traceback (most recent call last):

> File "genreference.py", line 31, in <module>

> run()

> File "genreference.py", line 17, in run

> yaml2pdf.run('reference.yml','reportlab-reference.pdf')

> File "/home/domains/pisa_install/ReportLab_2_3/tools/docco/yaml2pdf.py",

> line 54, in run

> story.append(Paragraph(text, style, bulletText=bulletText))

> File "/home/domains/pisa_install/ReportLab_2_3/src/reportlab/platypus/paragraph.py",

> line 798, in __init__

> self._setup(text, style, bulletText, frags, cleanBlockQuotedText)

> File "/home/domains/pisa_install/ReportLab_2_3/src/reportlab/platypus/paragraph.py",

> line 816, in _setup

> % (_parser.errors[0],text[:min(30,len(text))]))

> ValueError: xml parser error (garbage in start tag) in paragraph beginning

> 'Very simple and fast XML parse'

I don't know if this is the same error you're seeing, but I've
discovered that ReportLab has two different XML parsers: one is based on
the old Python XML tools (sgmlop, specifically), and the other is a
fallback one written in Python. They behave differently when they
encounter ill-formed XML markup (the Python-based parser is more
strict).

BTW Debian is trying to phase out python-xml (since it's not maintained
upstream).

Marius Gedminas
--
Only great masters of style can succeed in being obtuse.
-- Oscar Wilde

Most UNIX programmers are great masters of style.
-- The Unnamed Usenetter