[reportlab-users] Reducing use of 7-bit characters

Yoann Roman yroman-reportlab at altalang.com
Mon May 4 14:49:55 EDT 2009

I've seen a few threads on here that talk about Outlook's tendency to
encode RL PDFs as quoted-printable because of the low ratio of non-7-bit
characters. We're running into occasional issues with this that, as far
as I can tell, are from mail server mangling (same recipient/sender/PDF,
different results).

I know zipping it up is a solution, but that's an annoyance for users. I
ran a test and sure enough Acrobat uses far less 7-bit characters for
the same PDF at the same spec. Attached is my example. The Acrobat PDF
was created by saving out the RL PDF from Acrobat, keeping the 1.3 spec.
The RL PDF has 99.9% 7-bit characters, Acrobat 82.7%. That seems to be
enough for Outlook to switch to base64.

This thread talks about optional tweaks to reduce RL's 7-bit use:
http://tinyurl.com/cwea65

But I don't see anything in rl_config.py to toggle these.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
Yoann Roman