[reportlab-users] Paragraph height wrong when using xml font tags

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Jun 26 06:22:27 EDT 2009

Hi Volker,

Volker Haas wrote:

> Hi all.

> The height of a paragraph flowable is not calculated correctly when

> using xml font tags to change the font size. This only happens if *all*

> of the text in the paragraph flowable is inside a font tag which

> changes the size.

I have attempted to commit a fix for this in the trunk. As I suspected the
problem lies in the difference between the handling in the fast and slow
paragraph paths. To fix this I needed to change the way autoLeading was behaving
in the fast path; that involved getting rid of the approximation ascent=fontSize
descent=0.2*fontSize at least as far as paragraph positioning is concerned.

However we still have this approximation in many places in the canvas drawing code.

For many fonts the assumption is patently false ie the standard Courier font
ascent+descent <= fontSize. I guess our model which is derived from computer
land rather than print world is just wrong.

In our model there's just leading and fontSize with default leading defined as
fontSize*1.2; in this model the lines are leading apart ie leading = line spacing.

In the print world we have ascent + descent and leading so the interline total
is ascent+descent+leading. Leading is usually small and constant whereas ascent
and descent are proportional to the font size.

I made a big mistake when doing the work on auto line spacing (ie the
autoLeading option) in not just reusing the original approximation ie instead of
accumulating the more accurate ascent and descent values I should have just
recorded the max fontSizes. There might have been some downsides to that, but
less confusion.