[reportlab-users] SimpleDocTemplate Margin Problems

David Hughes dfh at forestfield.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 05:26:37 EDT 2009

Lucas Howell wrote:

> Hi All,

> I'm having a problem when using the SimpleDocTemplate with Paragraphs

> that cause an unpredictable margin.

> Basically I specify a margin of 0.5 inches in the Template and it

> works just fine when Table Flowables are added to the Story, but when

> I add Paragraphs (with leftIndent=0 specified) the margin is like 0.6

> inches or more. Thus my various flowables don't line up on page

> (paragraphs have some extra mysterious indentation). There's got to

> be some extra padding or something in the SimpleDocTemplate or

> Paragraphs that I don't know about, but everything is zeroed out, so

> it doesn't make sense.

As I understand it, DocTemplate puts the paragraph into a Frame (see
platypus/frames.py) which has padding around it that defaults to 6
points - just under 0.1 inches. The call from doctemplate.py to
instantiate Frame doesn't include any padding arguments, so the default
setting is used.

Regards,

David Hughes
Forestfield Software