[reportlab-users] Spot Colors (spotName) + PDF

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Jun 17 17:41:32 EDT 2009

2009/6/17 Greg Taylor <gtaylor at clemson.edu>:

> Hello all,

> I wanted to see if there had been any progress made in regards to supporting

> arbitrary spot colors in PDFs generated by Reportlab. I saw mention of this

> being possible with EPS, but we're a strictly PDF shop.

> We're considering replacing some ancient PDFLib (commercial) driven software

> with Reportlab, but this is an absolute show stopper at this point. PDFLib

> handled spot colors by letting you define a spot color as a name, and

> provide CMYK values for what it will be rendered as in an editor.

We have actually done our first experiments on generating spot color
PDF for another client a month ago, which passed all the needed tests.
(We have the color classes to hold the info, but use it in our
commercial EPS back end, as we've been helping companies generate spot
color EPS charts for years). However, it's the kind of thing we might
choose to put in our commercial package rather than our open source
one - no decision has been made yet. I'll email you directly on this
shortly.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson