[reportlab-users] Reportlab problem displaying japanese characters in a table

Paul Barrass paul.barrass at safeonlinebilling.com
Thu Jun 11 10:52:08 EDT 2009

Michael Dorrian wrote:

> I read data from the database and want to input it into a reportlab

> table but i need to loop through the returned rows from my sql

> statement and add rows to the table while doing so. The following

> reportlab helper class is perfect for what i need but because i am

> returning japanese strings this library comes back with errors.

> http://code.google.com/p/podunk/

> My question is this.....any clean or neat way i can read japanese

> strings from the database and input them nicely into a reportlab table...

Reportlab itself (since version 2) uses Unicode for strings, so should
handle Japanese characters if passed in as Unicode (and provided the
font has the appropriate characters). You'd need to ensure that the
database was providing Unicode, and that the wrapper was passing it
through. Without any details of the errors you're seeing, it'd be
pretty difficult to find where the problem is occuring - but I doubt it
would be in RL.

Paul Barrass.