[reportlab-users] Hebrew Support Patch

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jun 5 09:37:33 EDT 2009

2009/6/5 Moshe Wagner <moshe.wagner at gmail.com>:

> Is there any chance this could be added to the official code?

Moshe, thanks very much for your contribution. We're happy in
principle to add this kind of patch but it would help a great deal if
you could produce two more things...

(a) a suitable few paragraphs for us to put in a Whats New page or the
user guide. Mention what pyfribidi is, what version is needed (if it
matters) and where to get it. Also mention what one needs to install
to view these things - do we need special fonts, Acrobat Language
packs etc..? Assume the reader knows nothing about RTL. Just
send text to me or the list and I'll add it to the docs and/or web
site.

(b) most important of all, a small test script (see our 'tests'
folder) which generates some Hebrew and/or Arabic output, which we can
run and look at. The absolute ideal test script would have a bitmap
of the correct Hebrew to look at, and say "the text below should look
like the above", since I at least would not know if it was backwards
or forwards ;-)

Most people in ReportLab are too busy to have been following this in
detail but we'd really welcome any improvement in this area. We are
also starting from zero knowledge of Hebrew and Arabic - unlike Asian
text which we deal with daily. There will be a release in a few weeks
and this would be a very valuable addition...

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect