[reportlab-users] Trying to implement "See page X"

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Jun 4 06:42:54 EDT 2009

Looking a bit further into the multibuild stuff it seems that it is fairly broken.

Firstly the concept of an indexing flowable is weakly implemented as it will
fail (as currently implemented) if we put the indexable inside a container of
some sort eg a table.

As I understand it a pass should be regarded as not happy if anything that gets
rendered has a reference to an undefined variable. Mostly these variables would
be section, chapter etc numbers and page numbers or positions (ie bookmarks). It
ought to be perfectly feasible to define a simple way to record variables as
they are defined so that references to them can easily check which ones are
unsatisfied.

The chapter/section/page numbers etc are a document level issue, but the
positional references require some cooperation at the canvas/pdfdoc layer.