[reportlab-users] External hyperlinks in SVG output

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Jan 29 11:38:56 EST 2009

2009/1/29 Peter <peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>:

> I imagine there are parallels here with PDF output, which can in

> theory also include externals URLs. Is any of this currently possible

> in ReportLab? I've been looking over the documentation and the source

> code, but have concluded that it is not yet supported.

No. A few people have asked us about charts with click-throughs
and drill-downs, but we never did it.

There are two parts to this. First, the shapes hierarchy in
reportlab/graphics would need some extra properties so that
a shape could have link properties. This is straightforward for
manually constructed shapes, but presumably for charts one
would need to allow some subclass or callback mechanism so the caller
can define what URLs a data point or bar would link to.

Secondly, each renderer would need to do the right thing.
I can see this would be really easy with SVG.

If you're willing to do a little work on this and contribute
patches for core and SVG back end, we'd be happy to help out and
maybe do the same in PDF in step with it.

Now that the browser Canvas is getting popular, maybe someone
might even roll us a back end for that too ;-)

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect