[reportlab-users] Intermittent failure to find font, followed by IOError

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Jan 19 17:37:09 EST 2009

2009/1/19 Stevens, Ian <IStevens at globeandmail.com>:

> This error is intermittent, which is bothersome, and always occurs from the

> same line, executed within a PageTemplate's onPage() method. Here's a

> stacktrace of the error:

I have no ideas and no experience of anything similar - and we've been hosting
serious 24x7 apps with a very similar architecture to yours for 2
years with no similar
exceptions. Some more data would help.
- which ReportLab version?
- is it some kind of Linux? The OS may affect some paths through the code.
- how are you running Django? FastCGI, mod_python? The font cache is
once-per-process and does not get explicitly unloaded, so I wonder if
the intermittent nature means it is something happening when the web
server restarts Python processes.
- would you be able to promote live a metered version which adds some
logging statements? Alternatively, can you force similar issues in a
test environment which you could then debug?

We do have some code for resetting the font cache but I need to speak
to a colleague in the (UK) morning to see what could trigger it.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect