[reportlab-users] Numerous pdfs generation

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jan 9 06:41:56 EST 2009

2009/1/9 Fabian <fbs at tinyerp.com>:

> Hello,

> I need to generate around 300pdfs of 20000 pages a day. And I'd like to know

> if reportlab/platypus could work in streamline (writing the pdf on disk

> without loading everything into memory) or if a flush method exists to write

> on disk and flush memory when wanted.

At the moment it works entirely in memory. This is good enough
for 1000-page books and gives us flexibility, and we never met anyone
who wanted to handle single PDF files bigger than that before!

Can you tell us what kind of documents need to be this size, out of curiosity?)

There are certainly optimisations we could carry out easily to make it work
better for large documents - basically save each page stream to a temporary
file rather than in memory - and there is also a PDF sub-format called
'linearised PDF' to do what you want, but it's not implemented at this time.
If you'd like to discuss adding these features to support your process,
it's best to email me directly as there might be costs involved.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect