[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.3 release news

Raymond Cote rgacote at AppropriateSolutions.com
Fri Jan 2 09:23:20 EST 2009

Harald Armin Massa wrote:

> Andy,

>> (6) Docs and Tests

>> Therefore we are considering putting 'docs' and 'tests' UNDER

>> 'reportlab' so that they end up 'installed' in site-packages. This

>> seems cleaner to us than having people separately downloading docs and

>> demos (as wxPython does), or just plain not finding them. It will

>> require a tedious extension to setup.py to enumerate all the

>> non-Python files, but we can live with that.

> that is a good solution.

Concur that this is a good solution.
In addition to having the documentation (and tests) here for initial
development, it is convenient to have the specific docs/tests under
version control so that, when we haven't done any ReportLab work in six
months or so, we can quickly find the docs and remember how things work.

Also agree that proper packaging under py2exe is important.
We're not doing this ourselves at the moment, but we currently have a
number of Python projects distributed via py2exe and it is only a matter
of time until one of them has ReportLab in it.

Looking forward to 2.3.
--Ray