[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.3 release news

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jan 2 07:38:26 EST 2009

Happy New Year to everybody...

Having recovered from a month of viruses followed by the traditional
dietary excess, we are now counting down to a release 2.3 - no hard
date, but I hope in no more than 2 weeks. We aim to ...

(1) deal with most of the issues in the tracker.

https://admin.reportlab.com/mantis/project/core/tracker/

If you have raised a bug which we missed, my apologies, and please
remind us. If it's listed, no need to worry.

(2) have epydoc output available (in fact it's already here, and
getting indexed by Google, but you'll be able to run it too:

http://www.reportlab.org/apis/reportlab/

(3) open-source our PDF encryption function so you can make
password-protected documents easily

(4) put it all in PyPi

(5) install a bit more smoothly in a few more places

There are 2 debatable issues I would like input on:

(6) Docs and Tests
We are also reconsidering the decision to split out the docs and tests
from the code. This was part (but not all) of the rearrangement we
did for 2.2. To be honest, this has caused no end of trouble at our
end, with non-Python-experts having no idea where to find these
things. The manuals and tests are the main source of teaching
examples, and if someone has done "python setup.py install" and then
cleaned up wherever they unpacked it, they have lost the docs.

Therefore we are considering putting 'docs' and 'tests' UNDER
'reportlab' so that they end up 'installed' in site-packages. This
seems cleaner to us than having people separately downloading docs and
demos (as wxPython does), or just plain not finding them. It will
require a tedious extension to setup.py to enumerate all the
non-Python files, but we can live with that.

Does anyone have opinions on this?

(7) Installing on Mac - separate email follows..

---

BTW, any feature requests will probably get logged but deferred. We
have limited time to get this out the door.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect