[reportlab-users] Plans to deprecate Python 2.3, 2.4

Peter peter at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 07:14:30 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

> Hi all,

> We feel that the forthcoming 2.4 release should probably be the last

> one which works with Pythons 2.3 and 2.4.    We'd like to move the

> baseline up AFTER the release so that Python 2.5 is required, and we

> can safely write code with little '@' signs.

I thought Python 2.4+ supported '@' for decorators. There are
other features in Python 2.5+ which may be interesting to you
though.

> Does this cause problems for any substantial groups of people out

> there?  Are there still millions of Zope users stuck on Python 2.3,

> for example?

As one of the projects using ReportLab, I can tell you that Biopython
has already dropped support for Python 2.3, but in the short term at
least still supports Python 2.4.

Regards,

Peter