[reportlab-users] easy_install reportlab

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Dec 11 11:28:31 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 03:22:04PM +0000, Andy Robinson wrote:

> 2009/12/10 Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as>:

> > You may want to skip setuptools and try Distribute -- it's a setuptools

> > fork, with additional bug fixes and Python 3 support, which seems to be

> > gearing up to replace setuptools.  It's backwards-compatible with

> > setuptools, and it's more actively maintained.

> Aaarrrggghhhhh! There's now THREE ways to do it.

:)

> My "manager's answer" is that nothing will change for our 2.4 release.

> If Guido blesses Distribute in the future or something goes into

> Python 3, then we might reconsider. We use plain old distutils, but

> try to play nicely with easy_install.

Fair enough.

I'd be very happy to see a "Busy maintainer's guide to Python Packaging"
that ignores the 75% of confusing and needless setuptools features and
focuses on the distilled wisdom once things settle down.

> >  * binary eggs are good for Win32 systems, since people usually don't

> >    have a C compiler

> I am not sure if this relates to us at all. We have never

> deliberately 'made an egg' of any kind since we do not use setuptools.

> Apparently files ending in .egg get created these days when you run

> certain installation tools, but not by us!

Fair enough. My only point was that you *shouldn't* start doing things
like 'setup.py bdist_egg upload'. Looks like there's no risk of that ;)

> >> So, we're just going to tell people clearly in our manuals and

> >> download pages to install PIL.     If we feel really brave we might

> >> suggest a change to the effbot to get around this.

> > That would be great!

> Which of my two statements do you refer to? ;-)

The one immediately preceding my statement: i.e. talking to effbot. The
world needs a clearly defined PIL that can be installed automatically
through dependencies declared in setup.py, without confusion about what
you'll get and how to import it.

Marius Gedminas
--
if (DefRel.empty() == false)