[reportlab-users] RGBA Colors

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Dec 3 10:12:23 EST 2009

2009/12/3 Kevin D Smith <Kevin.Smith at sixquickrun.com>:

>> As for the colour alpha patch there are two proposals

>> 1) use default None with that meaning don't touch canvas alpha.

>> 2) use default 1 with that implying that canvas alpha is defunct since ordinary colours will always override any existing canvas alpha.

I can live with either. Robin, I leave the final decision with you
but let's decide and get it in there quickly so we can start
documenting it.

Which ever way we go, in our docs we will tell people clearly that
there is an 'old' and 'new' way and it's best not to mix them.

For a major new version, or a recommendation for a newbie, I would
personally shoot straight for (2). Whether you use graphics,
platypus, or homegrown reusable code, most people would rather
"describe the colours they want" than have to do state tracking.

--
Andy