[reportlab-users] Reportlab text not searchable in Apple OSX Preview.App? but searchable in Acrobat and google-pdf viewer ?

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Aug 5 10:03:51 EDT 2009

hari jayaram:

> Thanks for your help troubleshooting this. Hope the problem does not

> lie in Preview.App because the same pdfs are searchable in google

> pdf ( gmail) reader and in Acrobat .

I'm not surprised, since in the past I've also found PDF features
unsupported by Apple's Preview.app. One still unsupported seems
to be "tooltips" like in the following somewhat dated sample file
(on an equally outdated site), that I created with RL:

http://python.net/~gherman/tmp/TelcoInvoice.pdf

If you hover the mouse over single bars in the calender view you'll
see a tooltip in Acrobat, but not in Preview.app.

So, yes, using Preview.app too much can be misleading when cre-
ating PDF writing software... - pitty!

Regards,

Dinu

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/dinugherman