[reportlab-users] Combining reportlab's PDF and pypdf to partially create, partially copy?

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Apr 17 11:07:00 EDT 2009

2009/4/17 Yoann Roman <yroman-reportlab at altalang.com>:

> We've used pyPdf to merge ReportLab's output with pre-existing PDFs

> without saving anything to disk by just using a StringIO buffer as a

> temporary destination for ReportLab's output.

Yes, that would work too.

However, I would not expect a big performance gain from doing it in
memory rather than on disk. Making and parsing PDF files are both
quite heavy jobs, and switching from a few disk-read-writes to
memory-read-writes is unlikely to make much difference. Doing it in
memory can often reduce disk clutter or the number of configuration
options.

- Andy