[reportlab-users] wordwraps in tablecells

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Sep 25 16:51:06 EDT 2008

2008/9/25 steven Van de Weyer <vandeweyer.s at gmail.com>:

> Just started using reportlab to generate some reports. And am new to python

> (and PyQT) as well

> What happens: I set my table column width manually. I get data from SQLite

> to bind with the table cells. Expected to have the string wrapped and the

> rowheight adjusted, but seems my data is shown across multiple columns on

> the same line.

Text inside table cells is drawn 'unwrapped'. It's for performance -
this makes our library MUCH faster if we are trying to create, say, a
15-column financial table with a lot of short values.

As Wietse says, if you want text in table cells to flow, put a
Paragraph in the table cell - and thus use the paragraph's style to
format it, instead of table formatting commands.

- Andy