[reportlab-users] OpenType fonts and right to left scripts

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:04:32 EDT 2008

Hi,
this is my first post to this mailing list

I want to ask about OpenType fonts support in reportlab
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenType
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/index_layout.html
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/arabicot/features.aspx

and about the CTL support and BiDi (bidirectional support) in reportlab
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_text_layout

because I try it and failed to produce good Arabic text PDF

I noticed that openoffice have dependency on libICU and it produces
good arabic PDFs, it the support is not planned in near future where
should I add a layer that calls icu or fribidi to fix it

I'm looking forward to put our hands together to make it work.