[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.2 has been released

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon Sep 15 09:42:23 EDT 2008

Dirk Holtwick:

> - There is an "install" section in README.txt and INSTALL.txt. I

> think INSTALL.txt should be included into README.txt to avoid

> confusion

+1
These files nowadays seem to be more and more formatted in ReST,
which you can translate to HTML and PDF, BTW.

> - CHANGES.txt is more or less a SVN dump. But common users may get

> confused. I think the section "NEW FEATURES" of this email would be

> more expressive for someone who has to decide if switching to the

> new version is appropriate

+1
This 460 KB file is likely pretty useless and confusing for most
people installing RL and wastes disk space, too.

> - You got many Readme's with different filenames like:

> "00readme.txt", "README" (in src\reportlab\graphics\barcode), and I

> found a second license file (in src\reportlab). There is also a

> MANIFEST.in (in src\reportlab) of which I'm not sure if it is needed

> in this place. Maybe a little cleanup and renaming/ moving would be

> nice to get a consistent naming. Also adding expressive Readmes to /

> demos and /tools would be great to give a little overview what the

> subprojects are good for

+1

> - In the old distribution the doc files (as PDF) where already be

> generated - if I remember right? Please add them again, because it

> is not trivial to generate them. For many people this will be the

> first point where they go to decide if it is an interesting tool.

+1

> - The version of setup_egg.py is still "2.2pre".

> - A Windows pre compiled version would be nice, because not all

> Python programmers own MS C++ Development Suite (like me :) [Eggs

> would solve this problem too ;)]

> And finally you should consider updating your PyPI entry, it is

> still version 2.0 ;) http://pypi.python.org/pypi/reportlab/2.0

+1
I'm surprised setup.get_version() needs almost 30 LOCs...

But in any case it would be helpful, indeed, if PyPI would list
the real version number, because otherwise people cannot make
their eggs dependant on 2.2. Maybe RL didn't run the following?

python setup.py register

Regards,

Dinu