[reportlab-users] 2.2 - distutils versus setuptools

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Sep 4 13:16:33 EDT 2008

Dirk Holtwick wrote:

> Andy Robinson schrieb:

>> Are there any volunteers willing to "maintain" egg-related matters over

>> the next few weeks? i.e. contribute a script, do some testing, and field

>> any followup requests arising from it?

The main problem with our setup script is that we need to find freetype2.

It seems that the proper way to do this requires us to override
build_ext.build_extension so that we can get access to the compiler that gets
used at build time ie we need to do things inside out as FLundh does for PIL.

The unix way then asks the compiler to search for freetype amongst the library
dirs that have been set up. The windows way just cannot do that; so we're forced
back to using a setup.cfg type mechanism.

Have the egg people solved the library search problem?