[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.2 deployment options

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Sep 1 09:21:59 EDT 2008

We just had a show and tell in the office and it seems quite hard to do this
generally for all distributions. For example even using the reportlab test suite
fails. By default we build the documents in place during the test and lo and
behold the user installed as root and then tested as a user. He failed one test
because we tried to build the user documents in
/usr/lib/...site-packages/reportlab/docs.

Of course you could argue that the tests shouldn't be installed by default or
that the document builder should respect the 'correct' location for documents eg
some variation of /usr/local/share /usr/share /share etc etc etc.

The problem with distutils and by implication similar tools is that so far they
have failed to abstract the logic for this into some usable api.

The renderpm stuff depends on freetype a fairly common installation on unix
systems, but I look in vain for the correct way to obtain the right settings. In
the end we all copy from our favourite proxy setup.py (I think I followed
PIL's). Do we end up just duplicating autoconf or is there some easier way with
easyinstall?