[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.2 deployment options

Dirk Holtwick dirk.holtwick at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 08:12:44 EDT 2008

Andy Robinson schrieb:

> Q1. How badly do people want setuptools, eggs, easy_install and so on?

> Is plain old distutils good enough?

Setuptools is very nice indeed. I think this would be a great "plus" for
ReportLab and maybe makes again more popular. It would also be great for
third party software like Pisa <http://www.htmltopdf.org/> to set the
dependencies for Reportlab in their installations too ;)

> Q2. Should we try to do "batteries included", with the accelerator,

> optional C libraries for rendering bitmaps and the type 1 fonts

> included in the basic package and one setup script to build it all?

I think that you should split up the whole thing into two separate
distributions:

- reportlab_toolkit
- reportlab_addons

This way you have less trouble setting up with setuptools and less
dependencies. Or you might also split up like this

- reportlab_toolkit or reportlab_toolkit_minimal
- reportlab_toolkit_complete

So that the dependencies are from the second package to the first and
not the other way. This wy you can also avoid having difficult
dependencies like "PIL".

Hope this was useful
Dirk