[reportlab-users] Disable TTF Embedding

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Oct 15 10:37:36 EDT 2008

2008/10/15 Yoann Roman <yroman-reportlab at altalang.com>:

> I looked into Acrobat 9's default settings, and it *does* embed subsets

> of all fonts except for Arial, Arial Black, Arial Narrow, Century

> Gothic, Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Lucida Console, Tahoma, Times New

> Roman, Trebuchet, and Verdana. It has all those on a "never embed" list

> for its "Standard" profile.

Interesting. To be honest we haven't looked at this for years, as we
aim to work on older copies of Acrobat Reader (4.0 and up). Looks like
their policies are changing to expand the list of "built in" fonts
beyond the "standard 14".

> I'm still working on replacing an Access reporting solution that used

> Acrobat with ReportLab. The issue I ran into is that the RL PDFs are

> much larger because all variants of Arial (e.g., bold, bold italic) are

> embedded instead of Acrobat's approach.

That's easy. Just switch to Helvetica. It's one of the built-in
fonts (going back
to the first ever Postscript printer), so nothing will be embedded and you'll
get the smallest files and fastest generation. A designer or typographer
might be able to tell the difference, but this is only an issue if you're
trying to replace Access without tellling anyone you've done it ;-)

Hope this helps,

Andy