[reportlab-users] Disable TTF Embedding

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Oct 14 18:40:12 EDT 2008

2008/10/14 Yoann Roman <yroman-reportlab at altalang.com>:

> Yoann Roman wrote...

>> This is probably the opposite than most people want, but I'm trying

>> to stop ReportLab from embedding TTF fonts, such as Arial.

> Anyone have any suggestions for this? I've dug around in the font

> embedding code, but I haven't seen anything promising yet.

I have no idea at all, nor do I understand why to do this. According to
the PDF spec, the standard 14 Postscript font names are supported by
Adobe Reader, so all we need to do is put the word 'Helvetica' in the file,
and Reader can display it. (Actually it will use a variant of Arial on Windows
for display, but that's their business). But for any other fonts, you are
supposed to embed the font. Otherwise there is no way for Adobe Reader
or other viewers to display it.

And PDF/A. the archive standard, requires you to fully embed ALL your fonts
to ensure fidelity of display in decades time...
--

Why do you want to use a custom font, but not embed it?

- Andy