[reportlab-users] cannot split paragraph at first line

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 20 12:59:25 EDT 2008

Matthias Miller wrote:

> I'm trying to split a paragraph at the first line, and Paragraph.split

> is not returning any results. Is this by design? Is there another way I

> should split the paragraph at the first line?

> I've attached a patch that includes a unit test illustrating the

> behavior, as well as a proposed fix.

> -Matthias Miller

The avoidance of unpleasant splits is why we don't want to allow splitting
between first and second lines. It is called an 'orphan' the other way round
splitting after the penultimate line is called a 'widow'. Orphans have a future
and no past while widows have a past and no future. According to my style guides
oprhans are bad. In the past widows were also frowned on, but it seems that has
gone out of fashion and they are allowed.