[reportlab-users] ReportLab / Python 3000 (Robin Becker)

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Mar 12 18:28:18 EDT 2008

On 12/03/2008, henning.vonbargen at arcor.de <henning.vonbargen at arcor.de> wrote:

> A clear borderline between unicode and byte strings could help a lot.

I agree. For 2.0, we cheated a bit and tried to allow both types at
'interface' level,
and there is a lot of internal mess. But our goal was simply to allow
unicode use without breaking a lot of existing apps and we did not
have the time to be more thorough. Python 3.0 would force us to
re-examine every piece of string handling code and make those choices.

For "ReportLab 3.0" - whether it's together with Python 3.0, or done
separately in Python 2.x - I think your suggestions are all correct.
The only issue is when or whether we can do it, as there are no
commercial drivers for this, and a half-finished or stalled effort is
no use to anybody. For now we want to do a good maintenance release
in May, then look at this again.

- Andy